Built in 1860 and located at the intersection of Eight and Greene Streets, Big Steve was the warning system that the city of Augusta depended on for fire detection. In a time when a lot of buildings were made of wood and fire fighting technology was not what it is today, a large bell in the center of the tower would ring loudly to alert the city to an inferno. High above the tree tops, a man would keep watch for any signs of smoke. Big Steve served faithfully until it was torn down in 1894.
Donated by Frank Christian Jr. The son and grand-nephew of the photographers of the Frank Christian Collection.