Sanborn Map of Downtown Augusta, 1923 to 1953 - Volume 1
Sanborn Map Compnay
1923 to 1953
Volume One of a two-part set of Sanborn Maps created for Augusta in 1923. This large, oversized metal and dark brown linen book of maps was created in 1923 for the purposes of insurance and updated by the City of Augusta every few years until 1953.
The front of the linen-wrapped metal book frame has a leather rectangle label with gold lettering that reads "Augusta. Ga. / Volume 1 / Published By / (torn)". Unlike the Sanborn Map book with Object ID # 2013.12.001, these volumes pages are double-sided. It has skeleton maps (simple streets and building structures in black ink) and full color maps where the function and construction materials of each building was listed. The majority of these maps feature downtown Augusta as it existed in 1923 with changes pasted on top of the original maps.
Highlights of the maps include hospitals, factories, homes, and schools.
Donated by the City of Augusta.