Sanborn Map of Downtown Augusta, 1923 to 1953
Sanborn Map Compnay
1923 to 1953
Large, oversized metal and dark brown linen book of maps created by the Sanborn Map Company in 1923 for insurance purposes and updated by the City of Augusta employees every few years until 1953.
The front of the linen-wrapped metal book frame has a darker discolored rectangle that has block lettering in black ink that reads "AUGUSTA. GA.". These maps were created to provide insurance company information on the structure of a building and its neighboring structures for the risk of fire.
The map book has skeleton maps (simple streets and building structures in black ink) and full color maps where the function and construction materials of each building was listed. The majority of these maps feature downtown Augusta as it existed in 1923 with changes pasted on top of the original maps. Highlights of the maps include hospitals, factories, homes, and schools. Inside the inner front flap of the book was a small blue paper covered booklet with instructions on how to interpret the Sanborn maps. The title of the book is "Description and Utilization / of / The Sanborn Map." Also found in the book was a blueprint from April of 1951. The blueprint is a drawing of the Cotton Row Warehouses by B.B. Aycock, Engineer.
Donated by the City of Augusta.