Charles H. Rigdon Revolver
Charles H. Rigdon
Confederate revolver manufactured by Charles H. Rigdon, serial number 1490, with stamped markings of "Address/C.H. Rigdon/Augusta, GA" on the three flat surfaces at the top of the barrel housing.
The revolver is .36 caliber Colt Navy style with an iron frame, brass backstrap and trigger guard, and a twelve stop cylinder. The serial number, 1490, is stamped on the bottom of barrel boss, top of loading lever, front face of trigger guard, buttstrap and penciled on grip in backstrap mortise. The initials TN are scribed on the left butt of the grip.
Rigdon was originally partnered with Thomas Leech to produce this type of revolver in Columbus, Mississippi. However, in 1863, Rigdon purchased the company outright and moved its factory to Augusta, Georgia. Here he partnered with Jesse A. Ansley and two other men. The company manufactured revolvers under the name of Rigdon, Ansley & Co. beginning with serial number 1500. Over his career, Rigdon produced nearly 2,500 revolvers.
The revolver featured here at the Augusta Museum of History has serial number 1490, which was one of the transition guns between Leech & Rigdon and Rigdon & Ansley.