1862 to 1865
Alkaline glaze cup that was crudely constructed by an enslaved potter in the Edgefield District of South Carolina. This particular cup was made at the Palmetto Fire Brick Works which was located on the Thomas Davies plantation near the town of Bath.
It is unlikely that this cup would have been sold by the pottery. Instead it would have been made by the enslaved potter for his or her personal use. Current theories suggest that this cup would have been used for ceremonial/ritual purposes.
Donated by Mrs. William Raiford Eve.